Meringue without egg? Here’s how –
- ½ cup of chilled aquafaba (leftover chickpea brine, chilled for a few hours before use)
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups frozen berries
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Raglan Coconut Yoghurt – Plum & Vanilla Custard
- Preheat your oven to 150ºC and line your baking tray with baking paper. Sprinkle tray with 1 tbsp of the corn flour.
- Beat the aquafaba with an electric mixer on high for approximately 5 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Add in the vanilla. Then add in the caster sugar slowly while beating for another 10 minutes until you have a glossy meringue.
- Fold in the remaining 1 tbsp of corn flour.
- Dollop peaks onto your baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 130ºC and bake for a further 1 hour or until the meringues have developed a hard shell.
- Turn off the oven and leave meringues for a few hours with the oven door open.
- For the berry coulis; bring the berries and sugar to a boil on your stovetop. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until it thickens.
Press through a sieve and stir in lemon juice.
- Now it’s time to assemble; in a bowl place some Plum & Vanilla Custard coconut yoghurt, followed by a meringue. Drizzle over your berry coulis.
- Serve and enjoy!
Thank you to Doreen over at @nzfoodpics for this vegan meringue recipe!