Pick a date and read below, to learn how to make this scrumptious vegan loaf…
- 200g Raglan Food Co coconut yoghurt – Vanilla Bean
- ¼ cup psyllium husk
- ¾ water/almond milk
- 120g (1 cup) dried dates – covered in boiling water
- 1 cup date water
- 230g (2 cups) wholemeal spelt flour – sifted
- 100g (1 cup) almond meal
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Start by preheating your over to 180ºC (bake), and line a 5×7 inch loaf tin with baking paper.
- Boil a jug of water.
- In a medium sized bowl mix the psyllium husk and water/almond milk. Leave to sit for 5 minutes to thicken (this acts as our egg). Meanwhile, soak the dried dates in a separate bowl with just enough boiling water to cover them (about 1.5 cups) – also for 5 minutes (be sure to keep the water the dates are soaked in, this is our ‘date water’).
- Once the psyllium husk and water mixture has thickened, add in the rest of the wet ingredients. Be sure to roughly break apart the dates before adding them in.
- In a separate larger bowl, sift in all the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until fully combined. It should be a nice thick texture.
- Pour mixture into your lined baking tin and smooth out the top. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 20-25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a minimum of 15 minutes before removing.
- Once cool to the touch slice into 10 thick pieces.
- Enjoy warm with extra coconut yoghurt spread on top. Tip: Slice, wrap and store the slices in the freezer, then pop in the toaster to defrost.
A special thanks to Isabella Murrell at Grounded Kitchen for this lovely recipe!