You won’t miss the meat in these mushroom meatballs! Perfect comfort food for the winter.
- 650 grams mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1/2 onion (finely chopped)
- 100 grams quick oats
- 100 grams vegan bread crumbs
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tbsp water, leave to sit until it gels together)
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
Coconut curry sauce
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup RCY yoghurt
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the onion in a pan with a little coconut oil until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have browned a little.
- Add the garlic, rosemary and thyme and cook for a minute then transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor.
- Blend until it the mushrooms are finely chopped, then add in the oats and blend again.
- Add in the herbs, flax eggs, coconut oil, salt and the breadcrumbs and give it a quick blend, just until the mixture is well combined.
- Form the mushroom mixture into balls and fry them in coconut oil, turning them regularly until they are nice and brown on all sides.
- While the ‘meatballs’ are cooking, begin the sauce by frying the onion and the garlic in a saucepan. Once softened, add the crushed tomatoes and stir. Add in the coconut yoghurt and cook on low heat until it begins to bubble a little. Bring down the heat and add the curry powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce is made and the ‘meatballs’ have browned, either add together and let simmer or serve the meatballs on rice, spaghetti or zucchini noodles and pour the sauce on top. I would recommend letting them simmer together for a minute or two, I didn’t do this but wish I had!
- Serve while nice and hot ????