The rest of our emissions mainly come from road freight (getting yoghurt into stores), waste (packaging that ingredients & labels etc come in, not product waste – any extra yoghurt gets donated to charity), and electricity usage. We have developed a GHG emissions management plan and reduction targets, and aim to reduce our absolute scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions by 46% by 2025 through:
• Increased efficiencies within the new factory – reuse of water, improved heating & chilling.
• Consolidated freight deliveries.
• Electric company vehicles.
• Renewable energy.
• Reduced waste to landfill – compostable labels, worm farm, and other initiatives.
• Reduced international & domestic air travel.
Since 2019 we have fully offset our emissions with carbon credits in projects that include carbon sequestering in Puhoi, Kurinui, Pigeon Bush, and Rangitoto Station forest reserves here in Aotearoa New Zealand, and supporting wind farm and Fair Trade certified solar-powered oven initiative for families in Africa, India and China who want to lower their dependence on coal & dirty fuels.